Search This Blog

Food Friday



10 shared thoughts
This week's Featured in Food Friday player is ...

Ms. Luna Miranda, with her post Pako/Fiddlefern Salad, on her blog: Miranda.

I really would love to taste this salad. We used to cook these ferns back home with coconut milk, and even if I didn't like it at first, it just grew up on me. I seldom find fresh ferns at the grocery store where I do my shopping, but I know that they'll be coming home with me when and if I find them! Do click on the shot and read some more about Ms. LM's healthy salad post!
------------ oo000oo ------------

I haven't been cooking up anything worth blogging about for the past couple of days, simply because I think I still have the "holidays hang-over". We manage through deliveries or eating out. I know, not a good way to start the year (yikes!) but like everything else, I know this will pass. :D

But today I was excited to cook breakfast because of the special ham inside the refrigerator: Slers ham from Cagayan de Oro (Philippines). Hubby brought home one of their small-sized hams and of course we just had to have it for breakfast. Simply Ham and Eggs, that's my post for today.


Ingredients and Procedure:

  • Cook eggs the way you want them (I had mine scrambled).
  • Slice the ham and place in lightly greased hot pan. "Fry" slightly then transfer to a plate (or you may opt to heat it in the microwave or oven). Heat up the sauce that came with the ham. I decided not to put the sauce with the ham since my son wanted the ham without the sauce (kids...lol). It was fine without the sauce, though.
  • Pair with rice, or with hot pandesal (bread) and cheese, together with your favorite morning drink.



I liked the taste, since it reminded me of the hams that my family and I used to have while I was growing up. And I also liked the fact that it was cooked together with the bone, with no extenders added (nothing visible, anyway). I think I overcooked the ham slices, though, since it came out dry. Or maybe I shouldn't have cooked it at all! lol. Theoretically it's already cooked anyway. Whichever. Their small-sized ham was/is way too big for us (family of four), so we still have more of it inside the refrigerator. Expect the ham to be included in future posts! :D

Reminder: Please don't forget to link back (a simple text would be great, or you may use the buttons provided here). Also, please try to visit the other party-goers and leave some commentluv to let them know that you dropped by. Many thanks! :)

 Loading InLinkz ...

10 shared thoughts:

Hazel at: Fri Jan 11, 12:49:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Always a delight to have something from home. Happy Friday!

Winnie at: Fri Jan 11, 01:51:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Thanks for the party Maiylah and have a wonderful weekend

Oggi at: Fri Jan 11, 06:57:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Ham and eggs, perfect pair and yummy!

Is the ham similar to salty Chinese ham which is my dad's favorite. He used to fry it with brown sugar.

Jenn at: Fri Jan 11, 01:17:00 PM GMT+8 said...

I bought some pako at the weekend market, but when I got home it was already black and soggy (so sad). Anyway, that Slers Ham is big! How much is it?

Dominique Goh at: Fri Jan 11, 02:12:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Ham and Eggs.. really yummy!!
Haven't had that in a while.. will try to do it for the kids breakfast this weekend.

Intelliblog at: Sat Jan 12, 06:13:00 AM GMT+8 said...

That salad looks very nice!
Thanks for hosting.

Unknown at: Sat Jan 12, 12:49:00 PM GMT+8 said...

thanks for featuring my Pako Salad this week.:p
i'm not really fond of Christmas ham...i donated mine to my nephews who love ham. but i'll have Jamon Serrano and Parma ham anytime.:p

maiylah at: Sat Jan 12, 05:42:00 PM GMT+8 said...

@Hazel: thanks! :)

@Winnie: thanks also for playing again! loving your baked treats!

@Oggi: yes, I think so. back home while i was growing up i'd see chinese hams (bone-in) hanged together with the pans (lol), specially during Christmas. thanks for the tip (about frying with sugar)..tried it (i used the sauce that came with it) and it tasted way better!

@Jenn: so sorry about the pako. bilis talaga mag-wilt nun. it says SMALL on the label, lol. but the ham is kind of large for us. hubby said that it was around Php2200. Expensive, pero masarap! :D

@Dominique: yes, a classic breakfast. easy, too. lol

@Nick: i haven't tasted those ferns being served as a salad, but am sure it tastes wonderful!

@LM: this is the only type of ham that i really like (with the bone still intact). but i have been know to eat the other hams out there...lol.

thanks so much for playing again this week, everyone!
much much appreciated!!!
ENJOY your weekend!

Jessica Cassidy at: Sun Jan 13, 02:20:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Sis My, that salad looks delish, perfect to eat after working out :-) We love to eat egg most everyday and ham...yum yum yum :-) Ask ta ko, balo dia ka magbisaya? hehehe Returning from Food Friday :-)

maiylah at: Mon Jan 14, 11:57:00 AM GMT+8 said...

@Jessica: hi sis! kabalo jud kay bisdak man ko. hehehe :D

salamat usab, sis!
happy 2013!! :)

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post