Search This Blog

Food Friday



5 shared thoughts
This week's Featured Food Friday player is ...

Ms. Kriska Marie, with her post Birthday Dinner at DADS World Buffets over at Sweet Nothings.

Looking at that plate filled with mushrooms, shrimps, buttered veggies, squid (and a whle lot more!) is making me drool! Want to know where and how come there are loads of food in Ms. Kriska Marie's plate? Then click on the shot above!
------------- oo000oo -------------

I haven't been cooking anything that's different the past few days, but have taken to walking home after bringing my kindergarten to school. Not really far, but sometimes I go a much longer route when the mood suits me. That's how I sometimes find out about "new" eats. Like this bakery that sells toasted siopao, along Brgy. Sikatuna (Quezon City). I have heard good raves about their toasted siopao (siopao means steamed buns, which is usually filled with meat), so I got curious and bought some the day I decided to go the longer route. I also bought something from them, which they say is called Tinuktuk.

Toasted Siopao and Spicy Tinuktuk

Their toasted siopao was different from the ones that I had in Mindanao (this was where I first heard of this snack, around ten years ago! lol) since the dough was more dense and the filling had half an egg, together with the meat. It was still quite hot when they gave me my order. I had to admit, it was delicious! Specially while still warm and toasty! :)

The tinuktuk, on the other hand, was inside one of their refrigerators. I wanted to know what it was, and when the lady in the counter told me that it was made from ground meat with shrimps and wrapped in taro leaves, I just knew I had to buy a pack!


I didn't know that it was going to be spicy, since the pack was frozen all over; it was only when I decided to reheat the contents that I noticed the "spicy" written on top. Oh well. No harm done. I LOVE spicy food so it was no big deal! Come to think of it, the tinuktuk wasn't really that spicy. I loved it, and the fact that they used "real" coconut milk (not the powdered ones) to cook the dish made it even tastier. I will definitely buy tinuktuk from them again! Reminds me so much of home! :)

Additional info: Tinuktuk is a dish which originally came from the Bicol area. Here's a quote from a Tinuktuk recipe: "Combine the shrimps/crabs (Do not remove shell!), ginger, onions, garlic in a blender and blend to a fine paste. This is actually how it got its name. All ingredients are placed on a wooden chopping board and chopped with a Sundang or two, with most skilled cooks. Hence, tinoktok. So, in America, you might call it Blinender! LoL!" {source}

Please don't forget to add a link back to this site (you can get the buttons here; deciding to use text instead of buttons is fine also) to be able to add your posts below. Many thanks and hope everyone is going to have a great time this weekend!







get the InLinkz code

5 shared thoughts:

Oggi at: Fri Jan 17, 03:56:00 AM GMT+8 said...

What! Including shells? Soft-shelled crabs siguro. I'm interested in making this dish. It sounds delicious. But where do I find fresh whole taro leaves?.

I once baked some siopao many many years ago and I loved it too. I wonder if these are baked straight away or steamed then toasted.

Anonymous at: Fri Jan 17, 12:45:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Thank you so much for featuring my post! :)

That fried siopao is another new discovery for me, gotta try that one too! I'm not sure if it's just the same with the tinuktuk but I fell in love with Gerry's Grill's tinomok which also had the same ground meat and shrimps in taro leaves and coconut milk. :)

Intelliblog at: Sat Jan 18, 12:26:00 PM GMT+8 said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for hosting.

maiylah at: Thu Jan 23, 10:01:00 PM GMT+8 said...

@Ms. Oggi: i was thinking the same thing, too (regarding the crabs). i think i have tasted something similar a few years back, which was cooked by a cousin from Bicol. I just didn't know what it was called back then. :) I hope you'll find some taro leaves there! No idea how they cooked their toasted siopao...but it was delicious!

@Kriska Marie: you're welcome, sis! it's not fried, really, it's toasted. :)
oh, so Gerry's Grill serves something similar? A must-try for me!

@Nicholas: Thanks, too!

appreciate much the food posts being shared here! LOVE it!
Thank you, all! <3

Anonymous at: Fri Jan 24, 10:37:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Oh yeah, I meant toasted. What was I thinking? Haha! Either way, I still have yet to try both haha! :p

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post